Fire & Rescue
ISO Inspection Results
The Town of Kimball Fire and Rescue Department underwent
an ISO Inspection in October 2007. The results have
come in and Effective April 1, 2008, The Fire Department
is classified as Public Protection Classification: 5.
This is a drop from our previous rating of a 7.
Assistance to Firefighters
The Fire Department was awarded a FY 2007 Assistance
to Firefighters Grant for a total project cost of $79,239
with the Federal Share at 95 percent or $75,277 of the
approved amount and the town's portion is 5 percent
Also, the Fire Department received
a $2,000 grant from the State which was presented to
the County for all fire department to receive a $2,000
grant by House of Representative Bill Harmon. >Read
Case of Emergency Dial
- Voicemail (423) 837-7040
fire and rescue hall located at 925 Main Street was
built in 2001 with open house being held on August 10,
2001. The department consists of about 20 volunteer
firemen and 6 auxiliary members. Kimball's ISO rating
is currently a 7. The Town of Kimball Volunteer Fire
Department had an ISO inspection on October 16, 2007.
The results of this inspection will be available within
180 days of the inspection. Keep watching and we will
post the results in the future.
and Rescue Trucks
98 International 4900 Series
Hale Pump 1500
gallon per minute
68 Ford 600
92 Model International 4900 Series
Laverne Body Hales
1250 GPM Pump
87 Chevrolet Sierra
2007 International 4400 Series
95 Bronco XL
TO REPORT AN EMERGENCY
All fire or rescue related emergency
calls are handled by the Marion County Emergency Communications
Center E-911. Upon
receipt of the call, dispatchers are trained to receive
the necessary information in order to correctly dispatch
the appropriate units. 911
should always be used to report emergencies for two
reasons: First, because 911
lines are considered priority lines and are manned 24
hours a day. Second, the fire and rescue department
is not manned at all hours since our department is made
up of volunteers. Also, the
911 interface, the phone records transfer
the address into the dispatchers' computer thus saving
time consuming data entry and potential error.
Candle Safety Tips:
- Extinguish all candles when
leaving the room or when going to sleep.
- Keep candles away from items
that can catch fire, such as clothing, books, papers,
curtains, Christmas trees and decorations.
- Place candles on stable surfaces
in sturdy holders that grip the candle securely and
won't tip over.
- Use candle holders that can't
burn. Make sure the holder is big enough to collect
- Don't place lit candles in
windows, where blinds or curtains can cover them.
- Don't put candles where children
or pets can knock them over.
- Don't allow children or teens
to have candles in their bedrooms.
- Never carry a lit candle.
Space Heaters Safety Measures:
- When buying a new unit, make
sure it carries the mark of a nationally-recognized
testing laboratory. Be sure that a qualified technician
installs the unit or check that the unit has been
- If you use a wood or coal
stove or a fireplace, have a professional inspect
your chimney, chimney connector and other related
equipment every year, and be cleaned as often as the
- Keep space heaters at least
three feet from anything that can burn.
- When turning a heating device
on or off, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- When buying heaters, choose
devices with automatic shutoff features.
- Look for combustible
liquids like gasoline, lighter fluid, and paint thinner
that may have spilled.
- Thoroughly clean the spill
and place containers in a well-ventilated area.
- Keep combustible liquids away
from heat sources.
- Assume all wires on the ground
are electrically charged. This includes cable TV feeds.
- Look for and replace frayed
or cracked extension and appliance cords, loose prongs,
- Exposed outlets and wiring
could present a fire and life safety hazard.
- Appliances that emit smoke
or sparks should be repaired or replaced.
- Have a licensed electrician
check your home for damage.
- Kerosene heaters may not be
legal in your area and should only be used where approved
Do not use the kitchen oven range to heat your
home. In addition to being a fire hazard, it can be
a source of toxic fumes.
- Alternative heaters need their
space. Keep anything combustible at least 3 feet away.
- Make sure your alternative
heaters have 'tip switches.' These 'tip switches'
are designed to automatically turn off the heater
in the event they tip over.
- Only use the type of fuel
recommended by the manufacturer and follow suggested
- Never refill a space heater
while it is operating or still hot.
- Refuel heaters only outdoors.
- Make sure wood stoves are properly
installed and at least 3 feet away from combustible
materials. Ensure they have the proper floor support
and adequate ventilation.
- Use a glass or metal screen
in front of your fireplace to prevent sparks from
igniting nearby carpets, furniture or other combustible
Some smoke alarms may be dependent
on your home's electrical service and could be inoperative
during a power outage. Check to see if your smoke alarm
uses a back-up battery and install a new battery at
least once a year.
Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your
All smoke alarms should be tested monthly. All batteries
should be replaced with new ones at least once a year.
If there is a fire hydrant near
your home, keep it clear of debris for easy access by
the fire department.
Pay Attention to your Cooking
Know What To Do In Caseof Fire
Practice two ways out of every
room in your home. Get out as soon as you discover a
fire; do not try to fight the fire or gather possessions.
Once out of the house, stay out; do not attempt to enter
a burning home to gather possessions left behind Immediately
dial 9-1-1 or your local emergency number for help,
preferably from a neighbor's phone.
Planning what to do in case
of fire can make the difference between life and death.
You should practice two ways out of every room in
your home. If you use a wheelchair or walker, or otherwise
might have a problem escaping from a fire, discuss
your escape plans ahead of time with your fire department,
your family, the building manager, and neighbors.
Let them know about your special circumstances and
ask them to help plan the best escape routes for you.
The most important thing when
a fire occurs is to get out of the house immediately
and stay out, then call the fire department. If you
are behind a closed door, feel it with your hand before
opening it. If the door is hot, look for another possible
exit out of the room. Make sure windows can be unlocked
and opened, and security bars released. If you are
passing through a smoky area, stoop low so that your
head is beneath the smoke. If your clothes catch on
fire, stop, gently drop to the ground, cover your
face and roll to smother the flames. Do not try to
fight the fire; that will only delay your escape.
Leave your possessions behind, and never go back into
a burning building for any reason.
Fire and Rescue Links